If you have never read the book, The 5 Love Languages, I would highly recommend it. It is one of the books that helped change my marriage. This book talks about finding out how you give and receive love and then teaches you to love your spouse in the way that matters most to them. It is fantastic.
The book explains that your spouse might think of love differently than you. Your husband may feel loved if you spend time with him, give him gifts, speak words of affirmation to him, serve him, or touch him. I am not going to delve deeper into the concept (you should definitely check out the book if you haven’t), but just give a few examples of practical ways to love on your man.
- Buy him his favorite candy bar or treat. Dustin was talking about a certain candy bar and how good it sounded last week, so when I was at the store I bought it for him. We don’t typically do this so it was something special and let him know that I was listening and hearing him.
- Make his favorite dinner. This might be something you do every week and if so, awesome. But if you don’t give it a try. Or, try making a meal that his mother used to make him that he likes. It could be extremely simple. My mother-in-law makes tater tot casserole and my husband loves it, so I called her for her recipe and made it.
- Rub his back or shoulders. I used to be awful about this. He always asked me to rub his back and I never wanted to. Once I learned this is actually something that makes him feel loved I picked up my game.
- Order free travel information for somewhere he would like to visit. This shows you care about what is important to him and then you two can dream about visiting their together.
- Take him to a movie (or watch one at home) that he wants to see. For us this involved me watching Star Wars. Not my favorite movie, but he loves it. (He might regret this one because I do like to pull out the “Do. Or do not. There is no try.” when he tells me he is going to “try” to do something I asked him to do.)
- Write him a note letting him know a few things that you appreciate about him.
- Plan a little romance. Husbands like to be wooed too and feel like they are worth the effort.
- Wash the cars and vacuum them out. Clean the steering wheel and handles and make it smell clean.
- Surprise him with a night away or if money is tight, a night away at home. If you have kids have them sleep at grandma’s or a friend’s house. Don’t check your email, social media, phone. Pretend it’s like back in the early 90’s when people couldn’t just find you anywhere you were. Have some actual alone time together.
- Listen to him. Really listen and then think of one thing that you know would make your man feel loved, even if it wouldn’t make sense for anyone else.
What is a creative or practical way that you show your man you love him?