There are a lot of problems in the world today: mental health, drugs, homelessness, abuse, lack of morals, murder, rape, human trafficking, abortion, marriages are crumbling, children are orphaned. Those might be the “bigger” issues, but there are many others that impact people on a daily basis. Things like moms that want to be at home having to go to work or people suffering from low confidence. These may seem like small problems in light of some of the others, but they don’t feel like it to the person that is living through it.
It can start to feel overwhelming when you think of all that is wrong in the world. But, the good news is we have a chance to make a difference.
What problem stands out to you the most?
We all have something that we are more passionate about. While we recognize the other problems in the world, there are one or two that make our blood boil when we think about them. We don’t understand how others haven’t united together to make a bigger difference in the area.
Discovering what this is can be the step you need to take in discovering the work you truly want to do. And, it doesn’t have to be your job, it can just be a cause that you actively support. When you discover what you are passionate about things in your daily life start to look different.
Using your gift
I recently read the book Become Who You Were Born to Be by Brian Souza (full transparency that is an affiliate link) and it was incredibly motivating. The subtitle of the book is “We all have a gift… have you discovered yours?”. The whole purpose of the book is that if you don’t feel truly motivated in life it is because you haven’t discovered what your gift is. Once you find out what it is you find work that takes on a whole new meaning to you. Then, instead of dreading going to work or living for the weekend, you are doing something every day that matters to you.
Putting them together
I think the real key to living a life you love comes in putting together your gift and your passion. You may be gifted at leadership, but if you are leading something that you aren’t passionate about you will still have a place that feels empty at the end of the day. You need to put the two together.
Here are some questions to think through as you work on discovering your gifts and passions:
- What problems in the world get to you the most? When you watch the news what breaks your heart the most?
- What work have you done that others have complimented? Sometimes it’s easier for others to see our strengths and gifts before we are able to recognize them on our own.
- What did you care about the most as a child? What did you want to be when you grew up? Often times the things we wanted to do or cared about as a child are the things that are close to our heart. As we get older we let ourselves be persuaded away from them but sometimes those childhood dreams are still there.
- What do you enjoy and get excited about that not everyone else does? This will vary greatly for each person.
- What personal experiences do you have that you can use to help others? I truly believe that we can each use the difficult and trying situations that we have been through to help others. That’s why I try to be transparent about the struggles my marriage went through and how I overcame them because I don’t want anyone else to go through the same thing.
It’s time to live your life to the full
We only have one chance at life. Don’t waste it working at a job that you hate. Don’t waste it sitting at home watching Netflix. You might need to keep the job you have now until you are ready to go after the thing that gets your heart beating fast. And, sometimes you need a day to relax on the couch. But, if this is the way you are living life every day it’s a great indicator that there are changes that could be made that would help you love your life!
If you feel stuck and aren’t sure where to start, I beg you to contact me. I can’t even begin to tell you how much better life gets when you are going after something you are truly passionate about and I would love to help you discover what that is for you.
Leave a Reply