Post contains in affiliate link to Amazon. Read here for full disclosure.
Several weeks ago my church held a date night for married couples. It was wonderful. The tables were beautifully decorated and the youth served a dinner of salad, breadsticks, pasta, and cheesecakes. It was a very nice dinner that included free childcare (can’t really beat that in my book).
The movie is telling the story of the Song of Solomon. It follows the life of a Christian man, who after getting married makes it big in the music world. It shows the rise and fall of his career and marriage.
I have very mixed feelings on this movie. It left me feeling very disturbed in my soul. I think it is a good movie for couples to watch, but a difficult one.
What I Liked
- The movie addresses real problems in marriage. It shows the fights, loneliness, and temptation that couples face.
- It shows that reconciliation in marriage is possible and that God shows us grace and mercy.
- I thought the movie did an accurate job of showing the justification process that people go through when falling into temptation.
- It accurately showed that problems in marriage involve both people, not just one.
- It made you think. I don’t think there is a way to watch the movie and it not have an impact on your life, or at least get you thinking.
- This movie did a good job of being “tasteful” (if you can call it that) for the types of situations that it was addressing. It was able to get the point across of drinking, drugs, and sex without using inappropriate language and showing inappropriate things.
What I Didn’t Like
- The movie was extremely disturbing in a lot of ways. It was painful to watch the fall of this man and the damage that was done to his life and his family.
- I thought the end of the movie was a little too “Hollywood”.
- I talked to several others and we all left with an unfinished feeling. We were still angry and unsettled by the events that were depicted. I like books that I read and movies that I watch to completely wrap up all the loose ends. This movie is definitely about the temptation and fall, while the restoration process is glossed over.
- While watching, it was both convicting and comforting. While watching this couple it was easy to see wrongs that I have done in the past and compromises that I have made in my marriage. You see both sides of the marriage. You see how the wife pushes her husband away and makes it easier for him to fall into temptation and you see the way the husband puts himself before his wife.
All in all I would recommend this movie to couples (this movie is NOT for children). Have you seen this movie? What were your thoughts?
Here is the pluggedin.com movie review.